Please login or register. April 16, 2014, 09:55:21 PM

Author Topic: You can see New Guinea  (Read 7023 times)

jpd

Re: You can see New Guinea
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 01:57:48 AM »
Thanks Richard for the nice words, and for the hyper-link to my MySpace page.

I'm working on an ending to this story.  I'm debating three different endings.   To anyone reading this post, it's frickin' HARD to pick-up and put down a story like like this, and then go back a couple weeks later to add more to it.   Is that writing advice, or is that just me whining?   

Anyways, the end is near for Marthra and Martin.

jpd

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 05:31:05 PM »

The auto-sentient studied the scene, compiling data and performing analysis functions.  Understanding biological species had always been challenging and the current interaction was perhaps the most perplexing dilemma it had ever recorded.   "Witnessed," the computer corrected its own verbiage.  

The human species was essentially extinct.   Their planet was sterile and it would take many millennia before it could ever be inhabited again.   The computer didn't know exactly how many millennia that would be, and couldn't be bothered to calculate a more precise answer.   "Many" was a sufficient qualifier for the current scenario.  

Yet the human girl would smile as she discussed this dire fate with her Mission Archeologist.   The Archeologist too would smile, in the way of her kind, as translation services enabled the dialog to continue.  Understanding their conversation challenged the auto-sentient.

Something was wrong it suddenly realized.  It had recently begun introducing the notion of "imprecision" into it's analysis functions.    The results of imprecision more closely matched the reality of the scenarios it was trying to analyze.  It launched a self-diagnostic test then, re-weighting the value and meaning of the word "precision" while comparing the results to it's own prior conclusions.

"C'mon Martin, we're going back in the freezers!"  Marthra giggled, as the auto-sentient translated the human words and was perplexed by her laughter as it's diagnostic test ran in the background.

The Mission Archeologist spoke next, "Marteen, are you in agreement?   Wait it out in storage units?"

The auto-sentient was already receiving preliminary results of it's self-test.   The early feedback was very bad.  It had been missing 99% of the MEANING of the words it had been translating for the past thousand years.   It had misunderstood it's own host society, it's MAKER.  It had misunderstood everything!   Something suddenly "clicked" in the auto-sentient as it viewed the exact same data as before, but with a different awareness or perspective.

Martin rose tiredly and answered, "Yes.  Let's go back to the freezers and hope for the best.  Just promise me that you will not forget us."

"We will not let you expire in storage.   We promise." Crusoe replied solemnly.

"Bless you." Marthra answered as Garzon just blinked oddly, the overhead speakers hissing and popping with sudden static as all eyes turned towards the ceiling.

The auto-sentient interjected then, "I... I think that...   Yes, I am certain that I can bless and protect you.   It will be done."

Fin
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:41:45 PM by jpd »

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 05:36:52 PM »
At this point, I don't know if anyone should jump in on the story, being that we are coming quickly to an end, but any kind words, for this long work would be welcomed.

Father Luke

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 12:21:46 AM »
Appreciative awe.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

jpd

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 01:11:59 AM »
Thank you.   

jpd

Micro-movie alert!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »
Hey there, college filmakers! 

This little story would make a great indie or college project film.   Feel free to run with it!   Just throw me a couple words during the title-roll!