Please login or register. April 23, 2014, 01:22:23 PM

Author Topic: bail out for newspapers?  (Read 1695 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
bail out for newspapers?
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:08:26 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-brooks9-2009apr09,1,4863536.column a writer leaving the industry, say newspapers get a bail out? I'm not sure they should, at least until they can come up with a way where they can support themselves. It seems right now, everyday I read a newspaper (which is every weekday) I see stories from the day before.

Father Luke

Re: bail out for newspapers?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-brooks9-2009apr09,1,4863536.column a writer leaving the industry, say newspapers get a bail out? I'm not sure they should, at least until they can come up with a way where they can support themselves. It seems right now, everyday I read a newspaper (which is every weekday) I see stories from the day before.

The bind, as I see it Richard, is this:

What is to happen with our Top Ranked Journalists?
How are they to survive?

Because the whole newspaper thing really amounts to that for me.
The columnist says it in her article. The 2nd to last line:

Years of foolish policies have left us with a choice: We can bail out journalism, using tax dollars and granting licenses in ways that encourage robust and independent reporting and commentary, or we can watch, wringing our hands, as more and more top journalists are laid off or bail out, leaving us with nothing in our newspapers but ads, entertainment features and crossword puzzles.

Good bad or indifferent we are in a consumer driven economy.
That is to say, if it ain't selling, it sits on the shelf until it gets thrown away.

Imagine if the folks who manufacture spokes for the Amish horse buggy's were to suddenly cry:

But we NEED bail out money to survive!

What they need is to apply their skills in a marketable field.
To my way of thinking, so do Journalists. It's not like it hasn't
been coming for a long, long time.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke