BOMB is excited to announce its 4th Fiction Contest, judged by novelist and essayist Jonathan Lethem!
Deadline April 15. The winner of our 2009 contest will receive a $500 prize and publication in BOMB Magazine’s literary supplement First Proof.
Founded in 1981, BOMB has championed and encouraged the literary efforts of both established and emerging writers for more than a quarter-century, with a contributing editorial board that boasts contemporary giants such as A.M. Homes, Patrick McCrath, and Amy Hempel, all whom have generously judged our last three fiction contests.
Fiction Contest Submission Guidelines
• Winner receives $500 and publication in BOMB Magazine
• Final Judge: Jonathan Lethem (author of Fortress of Solitude and The Disappointment Artist)
• Deadline: April 15, 2009
• Reading Fee: $20 — includes a free one-year subscription to BOMB (overseas addresses should add $20); make all checks and money orders payable to BOMB Magazine.
Mail entries to:
2009 Fiction Contest
80 Hanson Place, #703
Brooklyn, NY 11217
• Manuscripts of one story maximum must be less than 20 pages.
• Include cover letter with name, address, phone number and title of story; do not write a name on the actual manuscript, as all entries will be considered anonymously.
• Include SASE for response; manuscript will not be returned.
• Simultaneous submissions OK, but reading fee is not refundable.
• Email generalinquiries (at) bombsite (dot) com with any questions.
Jonathan Lethem, best-selling author of Motherless Brooklyn, Fortress of Solitude, and The Disappointment Artist, is a Contributing Editor to BOMB Magazine. His tales incorporate the elements of noir mysteries, westerns, science fiction, and comic books. He has been featured in BOMB in conversation with Noah Baumbach and Lydia Millet, and, most recently, in a live video conversation with BOMB’s editor in chief, Betsy Sussler, at the Cleveland Institute of Art. Visit his website here.