Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 02:16:09 AM

Author Topic: twitter  (Read 1924 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
twitter
« on: April 19, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
I keep hearing all these people who are amazed by twitter. I think it is a great site, and I do like how it connects people, but it doesn't really seem like all that new of an idea. Isn't it just a chatroom? It seems to me, more or less that it is the same thing people were doing ten years ago but with a 5 second delay. I know that it has an rss feed and links through "friends" but the mod is really just a slowed down chatroom, isn't it?

Father Luke

Re: twitter
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:55:45 AM »
That's kind of what I thought, Richard.
I said it was instant messenger, but that you didn't have to respond.

;)

There is a fun site that tells the world if
you were on Twitter before whoever.

Here: http://herebeforeyou.com/

Enter your name, and then enter thiers.

As with most things internet, huh?
What did I miss?

See Fads - Wikipedia.

The thing about Twitter is that you are restricted to
few words without adds. I like that.

And? It's like an RSS feed of your best friends quips.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Chrisskoyles

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:28:28 AM »
I keep hearing all these people who are amazed by twitter. I think it is a great site, and I do like how it connects people, but it doesn't really seem like all that new of an idea. Isn't it just a chatroom? It seems to me, more or less that it is the same thing people were doing ten years ago but with a 5 second delay. I know that it has an rss feed and links through "friends" but the mod is really just a slowed down chatroom, isn't it?

I do get where you're coming from with the chatroom comparison in that interaction and communication do play a big part in Twitterland, but for me I see Twitter as social networking stripped down to the bare essentials.

If you think that other social networking sites mainly provide an outlet for sharing information about yourself, your travels both online and off and the things you may encounter en route, that’s what Twitter essentially does, and nothing else.

The ability to use a whole plethora of third-party apps in conjunction with the site means you can often keep your network updated on what you’re up to without ever having to visit Twitter. Updated your blog? Sign up to Twitterfeed and have it fed directly through. Loving a song on Last.Fm? mash up Last with Twitter and tell your contacts.

I think there’s probably as many different uses for Twitter as there are people using it. Some use it as a marketing tool to keep people updated on projects, campaigns etc. Some use it to interact with colleagues and share information. Some probably even use it because it’s becoming more popular tan oft-hyped Facebook.

Whatever the reasons, I think comparing it simply to a chatroom (and like I say, I do completely understand where you’re coming from) is to dismiss all the possibilities as to what Twitter can actually do for you.

Father Luke

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »
Speaking of Twitter tools, check out this:

http://twitterblogger.co.uk/2009/04/20/todays-top-twitter-tools-monday-20-april/

- -
Okay,
Father Luke