Please login or register. April 19, 2014, 06:35:00 PM

Author Topic: Baseballs choosen one?  (Read 773 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Baseballs choosen one?
« on: June 04, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »
I couldn't resist this story. It's on the cover of SI this week. A 16 year old BB player who can hit a ball 570 feet, throw a fastball 96 mph, and score on a wild pitch all the way from second base. The kids good, and he's going to be awesome to see in the MLB. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Bryce-Harper-punches-his-ticket-to-Cooperstown-a?urn=mlb,167844

Lin Robinson

Re: Baseballs choosen one?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:14:43 AM »
Hope he lasts.   Pitchers are the most famous youthful burnouts, but the hitting should hang in if he can hit junk.

One thing cool about MLB, they don't have all that hypocritical age-limit, amateurism hangover like sports that use colleges for farm teams.

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »
As soon as he turns 18, he'll sign, but I wonder if the MLB is ready for an underage player. He'd have work restrictions and couldn't be on the bus if they were drinking, hmmm all sorts of new ground for this kid. He's a catcher by the way. His 96 mph fastball is secondary! He throws guys out from his knees.

jpd

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:28:29 PM »
Bats lefty and throws righty at 96 mph....  I imagine that's good for improving your bat speed...   Probably good for his pitching arm too...

Any good franchise will keep the kid in the minor leagues until he's 21 or older.   Most major league teams have learned the mistake of bringing a kid up too soon.   And I don't think the ATF is monitoring what goes on during minor league bus trips.   It's part of the maturation process, and a part of what player-development people are assessing along the way.   Those aren't facts, just my opinions...