Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 11:23:56 PM

Author Topic: Swine Flu Anyone?  (Read 6618 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Swine Flu Anyone?
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:18:52 AM »
I'm kinda creeped out about what I'm reading on this new swine flu. It kills those in their 20-40 range and is spreading. I mean I feel fine and everything, but it is creepy. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 12:43:14 AM by Richard »

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
Re: Anyone nervous about swine flu?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »
Flu found in Ohio right by where I live, damn I knew I wasn't paranoid.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
Re: Swine Flu Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:57:39 AM »
http://www.life.com/channel/news This will be my official post for ranting about the flu. For instance, I know this flu comes from pig (originally), but do we have to make the heads of pigs be the mascot? It feels real end of the world Lord of the Fly ish. How about one of those big government warning seals (not the animal, that round thingy that makes everything look official!)

jpd

Re: Swine Flu Anyone? No thank you, please...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »
Honest truth-  my coworker who sits 5 1/2' from me comes back to work Tuesday after spending the past week in Mexico.  Tuesday could be "go to work wrapped in plastic day" for me.... 

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
I think a lot of people are going to get sick from this. I don't know how fatal or anything like that, but I think a lot of people are going to get it. Anyone know how long it takes to get sick from this?

Anyway, I hope you do not get sick, and that your coworker is healthy and tan, and happy, and not host of the nasty pig flu.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:53:59 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_swine_flu_mexico This is sad! Is this why people are dying in Mexico? Is this where the flu started?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:59:42 PM by Richard »

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
I'm wondering what loophole this company is operating off of that they have a half owned company in Mexico! Is this to avoid regulation.

People are being turned away from hospitals? Is this why 20-40 year olds are dying?

Where did all the samples go from those who were sick?

jpd

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »
Most people don't even know about the 1918-19 flu.   I don't recall hearing about it in school; I found about it later. There are many links to this stuff on the internet with scary statistics, for example, in Oct 1918, that 5% of America died from it, and we were one of the countries who "got off easy."

http://www.roangelo.net/schlectweg/influenz.html

If that's not thoroughly depressing enough, try this link and look for the ONE year that America had negative growth in population:

http://www.census.gov/popest/archives/1990s/popclockest.txt

Not trying to scare anyone.   But what the heck.   This is a writing website, and anyone who came here looking for medical advice pushed the wrong button on their computer!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:26:45 PM by jpd »

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »

jpd

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:28:04 PM »
Richard, with all due respect, read these stories slowly and skeptically.   It's no wonder that Arianna Huffington posted this story!   It gives the impression that America sucks!   Typical Huff-and-puff!   The site she linked, with a story written by Michael Philpott, advocates organic farming.   His article is suggestive and provocative-- but not actually news, just speculation.  "Could Smithfield be responsible for this" he asks, but never provides any answer.  Only accusation and speculation.   "They have operations in Iowa too" he warns, and that they smell bad, and could cause respiratory illnesses.  Still citing nothing newsworthy except but his own opinions.

For what it's worth, the Mexican spokesman for the US company claimed that they vaccinated all of their animals and that they continue to test negative.   If that's not a true statement then the company is liable.   But the news story blends together quotes from other other pig farmers, plus the American subsidized company, blending them together as if the American company was speaking on behalf of the entire industry.       

One of the other links somewhere above claimed that a woman lost her husband because their next-door neighbor keeps pigs.  Is that scientific proof that her neighbor was actually the one who infected the entire world?     It is crazy to accuse anyone of "causing" anything at this point.   Crazier still to turn a tragic news story inwards as another reason to bash America.

In my opinion.     

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:34:48 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_swine_flu_mexico  You may not believe it, but I swear this story was different before. It's been changed. The reason I posted the second article is because this one talked about Poop Lagoons and how a 9 year old boy was sick in the town by the pig farm. The people who lived int he town were protesting and saying they were all sick from the water and air. This article lead me to the Huffing post article. I cannot find the article that matches the one I read earlier. It talked a lot about the pig farm and chicken farm, and it talked about only one sample being saved from the boy. Now it just says that the patient info is private.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource

jpd

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:02 AM »
I believe you.   News stories changing by-the-minute are normal.  On 9/11/01 I was watching public TV footage of an airplane crashing into the Pentagon, from three different camera angles on the 6 o'clock news, and by midnight the video was pulled, as a MILLION bloggers began saying it had never even happened in the first place.  Then ten million.  Then 100 million.  Then it became our "reality."

I give up even arguing the point anymore.  

Imagine that...  A "news" story which shifts and drifts its message in mid-stream...

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 02:38:42 AM »
This has happened to me many times.  It's like 1984. You say, "I saw it." And they say, "No you didn't." And they can keep saying it much longer than we can keep saying much longer than you can. Maybe I can start that thread next, the news stories that change in front of your eyes.

Back to the flu, my 15 year old has the flu now, and yes we were in a town with the swine flu just a few days ago. He'll stay home from school and I'll call the doctor just to be sure. This sucks.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:05 AM »
I should say too, that I'm not crazy about Huffington post. I don't usually read the site, but I used the first now changed Yahoo (AP article) to track to the Huffington article. I was just a similar story, so I posted it. I don't have a lot of stake in it, but I think they are saying now that they think these farms are where the flu started. It has avian, swine, and human, and it matches the timeline.