Please login or register. April 17, 2014, 08:24:40 PM

Author Topic: How will you read your ebook?  (Read 2507 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
How will you read your ebook?
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:43:21 AM »
I'm just wondering how people think they will be reading ebooks in the future.

Tweet_Book

Re: How will you read your ebook?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 02:52:26 AM »
You know, Richard, I think the trend in the future will be for everything to go onto phones. All of the stuff we do on computers now will just get more and more mobile.

Or maybe I just don't want to shell out the cash for a Kindle or a Sony Reader.  :)

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:15:20 AM »
I'm with you! I think the hype of these readers is great for the ebook industry, but I think they are way too much money. I think phones are the way to go, and even handheld computers which we haven't really seen yet, other than the iphone. I have the instinct by sprint. A cheaper version of the iphone, but it does a lot. A computer that is a little bigger than the iphone would be ideal.

Tweet_Book

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:26:28 AM »
I'm going smaller and smaller, too. Netbook and a Blackberry is pretty much all I use now, and if the Blackberry gets about five more things right, there's no need for a netbook. It basically needs a better keyboard, word processing, and a better Web experience.

Lin Robinson

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »
What I'm seeing start to happen is something about the size of a checkbook, less than half inch thick.  One entire side is an eight inch screen, perhaps with touchscreen.  There are some controls on the sides, and more on the other side, including also a telephone touchpad, camera lens, etc.

I think that's where the evolution is going.   Pocket sized, useful for EVERYTHING.   And reading html, pdf, etc without need for reader programs.  And a slot, usb hookup for getting books for those who don't have to wifi everything.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
With all this money being "given" from congress I am surprised we haven't seen a national public wifi system proposed.

Tweet_Book

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:49:46 AM »
With all this money being "given" from congress I am surprised we haven't seen a national public wifi system proposed.

That would be cool, but you'll probably never see it implemented. I wrote an article about this once -- basically no company wants to provide it, because they can't think of a way to make sustained money off of the service. I wish we had it, but we probably won't.

Now, WiMax, on the other hand, has real potential -- if they can get some of the frequencies allocated that over-the-air TV now uses.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:47:44 AM »
I agree, maybe someday we will have a public wifi system owned by the government and payed for with tax dollars. Everyone could use it. This won't happen any time soon here, but I bet you'll see it in Europe.

Lin Robinson

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 06:07:45 AM »

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 03:48:26 PM »
It's a little small. I like to have more than 1 word on the screen at a time. :) Kidding, but we've talked about a good size, and I don't think this is it. No doubt it it will be popular.

Lin Robinson

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 05:18:55 PM »
I agree.  It's pretty much there, but as I've said, checkbook size would be better.  Like a seven inch screen.

One technical problem I think, but haven't any first hand experience of--the eInk displays are slower to load than light emitting screens.  So there is a slight delay for every page.
So, while wheeling down a screen seven inches wide by three high could be pretty seamless with an LED or whatever, it might cause some annoying discontinuity with the "electronic ink" screens, so those readers want to have a deep page--hence the format of Kindle and Sony.