Please login or register. April 20, 2014, 06:39:16 PM

Author Topic: Shameless Plug for My Site  (Read 790 times)

Greg_M

Shameless Plug for My Site
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:34:36 AM »
Hi, all,

I've been lurking around here for a while now and I think there are many of you who will find my site of interest. It is a forum-based role playing game specifically designed for creative writers. Don't worry. I'm not trying to sell anything (except my enthusiasm for the game's potential). It's free. I would simply like to see this new game grow into something of significance. The game just came online a week ago and still has very few members. Come along, help it grow and, most importantly, have fun. I look forward to seeing you there.

http://www.durganinstitute.com

GM

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Re: Shameless Plug for My Site
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »
Greg a lot of times I would move a topic like this to promo area, but I'm interested to see how things turn out. It's a good idea. I and others on the forum have talked about how hard it is to get people to interact. They sign up, look, drop by, and everything, but they have a hard time getting involved. Maybe post back here from time to time, and let us know how it's going.

jpd

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:00:13 PM »
Hello Greg-  I like the concept but am overwhelmed by the rules.  Seems more like a role playing game than a literary type of game.   Is it possible to post an example of what "gameplay" actually entails?

Greg_M

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:19 PM »

Hello Greg-  I like the concept but am overwhelmed by the rules.  Seems more like a role playing game than a literary type of game.   Is it possible to post an example of what "gameplay" actually entails?

No problem.  In a few short sentences the game works as follows. 

The game universe is centered around scientists who study a group of immortals.  The stories take place on a message board system very much like this one.  A player (writer) starts a story with a post to one of the boards.  This writer is then considered to be the "master" of that story and has the authority to exercise a bit of control over the development of the story.  Other players are allowed to then add to the story in the well-known round-robin style of writing.  Contributions continue until the story has been played out and is considered complete.

The amount of control exercised by the story's "master" is up to that person's (the master's) discretion. If an addition is made to the storyline that the "master" does not like then he may ask one of the story's moderators.

That, in a very condensed nature, is how the game works.  The rest of the rules are simply mechanics for character interactions, character development, and the like.  For pure writers, and that is what I see most of the game's membership ultimately being, will be affected much by many of these rules. 

Does this help with your question?  If not, please let me know and I will attempt to explain it another way. 

I am attaching a sample of how a story in the game might work.  I say might because it is still in its first month and I expect to modify things in order to make it more player friendly.  Please forgive any errors that I may not have edited out.  This sample was originally written for one style of play and then heavily edited when that style was deemed to be overly cumbersome.

Thanks for the question.  Are there any others?

GM

jpd

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I skimmed it and have no other questions-  the example was exactly what I was looking for!   It looks really interesting, and could be a "time-vampire!"   (That's a compliment!)

It seems like an awful lot of moderation going on.   I will re-read this a little slower when I have a few minutes, and could very well show up in the game!

Thanks for the reply!