Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 02:00:13 AM

Author Topic: I'm new here  (Read 1390 times)

kevin23

I'm new here
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »
My name is Kevin and I live in California. I've been taking a class on how to write childern's books and I had heard from a lady in my doctors office who went to publishamerica.com.

Has anyone had any experience with this website? Good or bad.

Just wanted to see what other writers are doing to try and get published.

Thanks
Kevin

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Re: I'm new here
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:23:28 AM »
Generally they are regarded as being very BAD to publish with. They do not support their authors, and on a work like a children's book, you could stand to make a lot of money with a traditional publisher. With Publish America, I believe, you will not. They take the rights to the book for 7 years, and that tends to be a big no no. From what I understand they are a print on demand company. You will not get your books in book stores, you will have to all the promoting, and a bunch of other problems I will not get into. However, I think you should do all the research you can. Don't take my word for it, go out and get other people to tell you what they think. Also, look at as many boards and authors as you can. Good luck.

kevin23

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 07:38:15 PM »
Thanks Rickard that's been pretty much the same response I've got from a number of people.

Kevin

col

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:51:36 AM »
Kevin, did they say who might be taking manuscripts?
I am new here too and I have written a childrens book that i would like to
submit...but I just dont know who to send it to.

doesn anyone have thoughts on this?  thanks ???

kevin23

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 04:10:20 AM »
If you're asking about publishamerica.com I do not know. I had heard from someone who used them that is was easy to get published and they sell their books on amazon and other sites. This lady, that I talked to, was happy with them.

I think it's a personal thing. I'm new to this so I think Richard said it best when he answered mine.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

col

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
thanks Kevin, I have them on my do not use list...I am not sure why.
I typed in publishing scams and  found 3 names not to use.
I am going to google pusblishers and cross my fingers.

Does anyone know if I can put my art work on a flash and go to a printer with it?