Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 08:10:58 AM

Author Topic: The Vampire In Fiction: Relic or Relevant?  (Read 3363 times)

J.S. Wayne

The Vampire In Fiction: Relic or Relevant?
« on: December 10, 2009, 07:03:27 AM »
With the advent of such films and books as Blade, Underworld, and Twilight, the question has been repeatedly asked of me lately: Ugh.  Why on earth would you want to write a vampire novel?
And I answer: Because vampires have always been and, I believe, will always be a part of pop and literary culture.  Am I right, or am I kidding myself?  If you give a vampire a facelift, make it something new and different, will it be hailed?  Or hated.
I'd really like to see the general public opinion on this one. 
For more, see jswayne.webs.com/character
Best to all!

RLB Hartmann

Re: The Vampire In Fiction: Relic or Relevant?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 11:20:18 AM »
Funny you should ask. I started a vampire novel in episodes at www.textnovel.com and was getting some good response when other ventures in my life whisked me away. I have yet to get back to it, but plan to finish.

I agree that vampires are always "in" -- sometimes more in than at other times, but a recurring favorite among readers.

If you have time, sign up at Textnovel and search for my "Tales of a Southern Vampire" which also has some photo illustrations with some chapters. Chapters are SHORT, and this is a good time to catch up with the plot.

Leave me a Textnovel private message to offer feedback.

murazrai

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
It will always relevant, but still that will depend on how you write about vampires.

RandyDethrow

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
My problem with Vampire fiction is the trend started by Anne Rice that vampires are "romantic" and "beautiful" and have names like "Lestat" and "Armand."

Someone should write a book about an obese, filthy, murdering bloodsucker named "Bernie."