Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 11:24:04 PM

Author Topic: What does poetry mean to you?  (Read 3583 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
What does poetry mean to you?
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:21:05 PM »
What does poetry mean to you? Why do you write poetry?

I feel my poetry saved me. I have a learning disablity, and when I was grade school I feel very far behind. Once my reading tutor let me pick whatever book I wanted to order. I by luck picked a book of poems. After reading my first poem I started writing poetry. Within 2 years I jumped 4 grade levels in reading. So I feel like sometimes I owe poetry something.

banana_the_poet

Re: What does poetry mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »
For me poetry is akin to taking a photograph.

It is the way I 'snap' a thought, idea, emotion, event or experience.

I like to make it as uncluttered as possible.

Maybe it is more like a silhouette than a photograph.

I wrote a poem yesterday and this verse illustrates what I like to do with poetry

Sulky sea,
muddy green,
throws itself on the sand
in a salty-teared tantrum.
Cars woosh past,
a hush-a-bye lullabye,
but sea cannot be consoled.

This verse describes the long road alongside Swansea Bay on a rainy day.  It 'snaps' that experience in a way that film nor photography could. I like poetry because it is multi-layered and can say many things all at once.  I think I like the efficiency of it.  It can engage so many different parts of my brain simultaneously.  Although I have to admit I prefer to create it rather than read it.

There is something very satisfying in having a need to say something in a certain way and then getting it onto the paper in a form that works.

I know I've got somewhere when I read my own poem and then suddenly see another layer of meaning in it that is revealed to me only when the structure is finished.  Something that was subliminally there and must have subconsciously interleaved itself into the words.  I like to surprise myself.

The rest of this poem is on my poems-2-share blog which is where my 'serious' poems live.

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »
Oh, please post your blog in your sig! This way we can click over:) The poem in your post is VERY GOOD. I would like to read more.

jpd

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »
I agree that I write poetry differently than reading the stuff.   It's WORK to read poetry.  Do other readers feel the same about reading my own writing?     I think I write simply, but do I?

banana_the_poet

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:04:47 PM »
How do I do my sig?

Sorry I haven't been able to work it out.  :-[

amended to say - obviously I have now found out.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:26:17 PM by banana_the_poet »

jpd

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »
Not only amended, but improved upon.    Two signatures?   Feeling a little greedy, are you?  That is not a complaint.  It is, after all, a woman's prerogative to be many things at once.