Please login or register. April 20, 2014, 03:47:55 PM

Author Topic: Swine Flu Anyone?  (Read 6630 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Re: Swine Flu Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 03:05:52 AM »
Speaking of 1984, was this http://www.roangelo.net/schlectweg/influenz.html link working when you posted it, I didn't click it before. I did, but I didn't get to read the site. Is it listed forbidden for you?

Father Luke

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 09:54:15 AM »
Been reading for content. Anyone mention SARS yet?
Plus I don't have TeeVee.

I'm glad I don't get out more.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 12:31:57 PM »
Yes, see all those years people were telling you to get out and be amongst friends, and all that jazz, they were trying to get you killed!

I'm not pointing this toward you, but if a virus does wipeout the population, does this mean only people who are depressed reclusive will survive? What would the evolution of many look like? Introspective for sure!

Father Luke

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »
That reminds me of a Joe Rogan comedy bit where he talks
about how only unemployed people, with no education,
are reproducing, and the smart people are worried
about population control.

Well, Joe asks, how long will it take us regular folks to develop
the internet out of rocks, and sticks in the jungle?

Not that nerds don't have fun. . .  ;)

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

jpd

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »
Replying to Richard from a couple posts back...  yes, the link still works for me, and I cleared cookies last night, so presumably it loaded a fresh page today.  Here are the first few paragraphs:

The Influenza Pandemic of 1918

The Influenza Pneumonia Pandemic of 1918 killed 600,000 people in the United States and more than 25 million people worldwide.

It was called the "Spanish Influenza" because of a large outbreak of the disease that occurred in Spain in May and June of 1918. The influenza may, however, have originated in March 1918 among U.S. soldiers in Kansas; about 500 men there were infected, among whom 48 were listed as having died of "pneumonia". Those who survived the illness may have carried the disease to Europe, where in the summer and fall of 1918 over one and one-half million U.S. soldiers were sent to fight in World War One.

Whatever its origin, by September 1918 the influenza had spread to the civilian population of America. It first reached epidemic size in Boston, and then spread to New York, Philadelphia and beyond, following the railroad lines. 12,000 people died of the influenza in America in September 1918, and a further 195,000 died in October. In fact, the highest death rate in U.S. history occurred in the month of October 1918; the rate was 5 dead for every 100 of the population, or 5 percent.

ps-   I was amused that they wanted to clarify "5 out of 100" as being 5%

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
I hope that this death rate is not that high. From what is coming out of Mexico, it is not. It's hard to tell because the numbers are all messed up.

Lin Robinson

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »
You've no idea how messed up they are.

The island I live on just had two members of their national champ handball team (God knows where they practice) come back from Mexico City with 2 member sick.   There are now four cases, apparently. 
And reported to, but not by, the newspaper and public health.

Don't want to scare away tourists.   Of course the tourists they might scare away could be infected, but in an all-tourism economy it's no joke.

Mexico is now at category 4 of epidemic according to WHO.  If it hits level 5, they will close hotels, shut airports, choke down movement all over the country.   In addition to eliminating income from this area, there's also the question on how we will eat, since all food comes from elsewhere.

Lin Robinson

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 12:57:57 AM »

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 01:02:34 AM »
I hope this can get under control, and keep safe Lin.

I have to ask though, if 30,000 people die when a "regular" flu hits, are we going to watch this one, one person by one person? With the hyper media coverage we won't be able to go outside or open a door without thinking we have be exposed. I know we need to know, but it is and will be hard to watch one person at a time get killed by a virus, all the way up to 30,000, 40,000, millions?

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 01:10:33 AM »
Mexico is a beautiful country that many times deserves much better than it gets. I wish the government there did a better by its people. Let's remember that bad things come out of all countries, and it hasn't really been easy to be international as an American over the last few years. If we keep it up, Canada will want to move from the North American continent to Russia.

Lin Robinson

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 05:44:32 AM »
I've lived in a lot of tourist areas, in several countries.  Every one of them blacked out any news that might scare tourists away.  Except Tijuana.  They LOVE ranting about fatalities and figure that danger and dirt are part of the attraction.

The Chelan Valley Mirror drove me crazy because they wouldn't publish letters for fear of scary stuff, and ran almost nothing but puff.

Most places report deaths and cases to national health rolls, however.   Mexico that's not the case.  They had probably 100.000 AIDS deaths before they'd report them.

Or course at the same time US Surgeon General Koop was publishing weekly denials.  You can't catch if without having sex.  Well, okay you can, but only by bleeding directly into open wounds.   Well, okay, you can get it from saliva, but not orally.  Well, okay.... but anyway you have to be very careful withbody EXCEPT gays, blacks and Haitians, who are NOT high risk carriers.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:14 AM »
Yeah, it's strange that the first flu death in the US came with so little information: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu I'm mainly posting this here, so I can find it later. It also gives me a date and time. I will take a month to find a week from now.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
I read a very good article today from a W. Post writer. He pointed out something that I think is easy to forget. In a city of more than 20 million people doctors still were able to id odd patterns of illness and then trace it to a new virus. In that respect, the doctors should be applauded. The health works and doctors are risking their lives to take care of the sick. I'm sure we'll see a few stories about this health worker acted this way, and this one did this, but a LOT of people are getting care. I think it is easy sometimes to just say, well the whole country is like that. I know with the US, over the last 6 or 7 years a worldview has been coming from out country that many many of our people do not agree with. It doesn't matter though, that damage that the actions and views have done effect all of us.

I would say finding a new virus in a city of 25 million is a heroic effort.

jpd

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 10:58:52 PM »
My coworker who spent last week in Mexico was not even aware of the flu outbreak until her last day of vacation.   She spent the week in Mexican hotels but was not watching TV.   She went on jungle tours, visited ancient ruins, and even ate at a farm where there were pigs milling about, etc.   It wasn't until her last day at the hotel that she heard other tourists talking about the flu, and during her trip through the airport the baggage handlers were all wearing masks.   That was her experience with Mexico's response to a potential pandemic.

It's too early to panic about stuff like this, but never too early to talk about it.  To me, the scariest part of the 1918 pandemic was the rate of infection and death-   from 12K to 195k deaths in the span of a single month.   The population of America was smaller then, and fewer people traveled from city to city at the time (other than soldiers heading towards WWI)

I'm not trying to scare-up a story with this post....  just commenting on a story that's already the top news of the day.   I'm also very worried about a dear friend of mine who went to Chicago over the weekend.   She came home sick on Monday and sounded terribly short-of-breath on Tuesday.  I left her a message but did not hear from her today.  She is anemic and asthmatic and has two strikes against her.  Having "ordinary" flues are already a life-threatening condition for her, and her daughter also.

JPD-  Not ready for worry just yet, but sporting an abundance of caution and concern       

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 11:18:40 PM »
Well I too don't want to scare anyone, but is it odd that we think we are getting a play by play of this thing, and then they say that over 100 schools are closed? Where? Here in Ohio I live about 40 miles from the school that closed. It was an elementry  school, and the rest of the district is still open. Where are the other schools they are talking about? Also, they are saying some students are sick and then hundreds of students are sick. They are, of course, not reporting suspected cases, but how many cases are suspected, and are they closing schools just for being suspect?

Also, the Spanish flu did not kill people right away. It started just like this flu, at the end of the flu season and then came back the following fall and started killing people in droves. That's why that flu shot is critical. It needs to be ready by the fall of next year to stave off what might be the brunt of this.