Please login or register. April 19, 2014, 04:01:34 PM

Author Topic: My take on the New Star Trek  (Read 2553 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
My take on the New Star Trek
« on: May 09, 2009, 05:54:53 AM »
I'm avoiding spoilers, so this post is rated Everyone. My take on the new Star Trek movie, not so good. I didn't like it. I think it does what many Star Treks have done since the death of creator Gene Roddenberry. It trades Star Trek history, science, philosophy, culture, character, and continuity for FX and action. It's as if JJ Abrams doesn't want to be a nerd. That's fine, but you can't be a Star Trek director without a little nerd. The characters are flat despite wasting a bunch of time on their back stories. The science is awful, glazed over and twisted to the point that suspension of disbelieve is impossible. No regulations or any thing to do with Star Fleet, let alone how an army in space would operate. Can we put a bunch of cadets on a ship and then replace the engineer at will without ever having an engineer or transporter chief in the first place? This guy, this guy, this guy are all going to be captain! No body back in command will mind that we are giving command of the flag ship to captain that has no experience! I have an aunt that might be able to take command. Let's take a character like Sarek of Vulcan, that fans have known for say 40 years, and make him act completely out of character.

Storyline? Sucked.

Anything good? Yes, the action was good. The FX is great! The FX in this movie does what star trek fan's imagine used to do when they watched the old series. It's one thing to want your franchise to be popular. It is another thing all together to trade almost everything you have that makes you unique in an attempt to make a blockbuster.

If you are not a fan of the series, or if you have little background in the series, you might like the action in the movie. I don't think the storyline will be all the interesting to you. I think some of what happens will be unbelievable, and it won't make any sense, but you might find the movie mildly entertaining.

If you like Star Trek and have been a fan, I think you might find that a lot of what you love about the show is missing from this movie. To me it felt like they just pasted the names on characters and ships from the show and called it Star Trek.

I like FX. No I love good FX, and this movie has a lot of it, but why can't you have fast action and great FX and still make a great Star Trek film that has good science, congruent characters, and a meaningful philosophical message?

Looking at it just from a story telling perspective, they missed far too many opportunities at themes and human insight for it to be anything other than a shoot 'em up space movie.

Mojo

Re: My take on the New Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:26:16 AM »
AS a lover of the original series I was looking forward to this.... until I started hearing about it here and there. Then they cast Simon Pegg and all my interest went out the window (can't bear him, annoying as hell and how dare he think he can come anywhere near the real Scotty?).

Thanks for sharing your take on it, Richard. You've confirmed what I've said to others. I shan't be bothering with this movie. If I want a good sci-fi tale with plenty of action I'll go watch Equilibrium or The Chronicles of Riddick or better yet, Bladerunner.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 04:59:53 AM »
I'm a big fan of Bladerunner. What other sci fi do you like?

Mojo

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:45:48 PM »
Depends on my mood. I see a movie and if I'm in the mood, I watch it. I love the old b-movie b/w things like Plan 9 from Outer Space and the originals of Midwich Cuckoos, things like that. And yes, I love the original three (and only those three) Star Wars movies.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »
If you like B scifi you might like: http://www.everywritersresource.com/writersmessageboards/index.php?topic=428.0

We also have some lists: http://www.everywritersresource.com/bhorrormovies.htm  or http://www.everywritersresource.com/toptenhorrormovies.html

I like b scifi as well, maybe I should do a list.... any suggestions other than what you listed?

jpd

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 04:22:03 AM »
I'm combining posts here-  I just watched it online, which was probably a violation of Copyright laws...   but I watched it anyways..

I thought this was very well done.  I think this was a GREAT prequel to the original series!  I hate most Star Trek movies, the Wrath of Khan, etc.  I think this movie ran deeper than others, and told the story of the beginning very well.   The movie makers did a great job with small details; like Ohura wearing a cylinder against her ear as Mr Checkov and Sulu operate the helm and struggle with the English language.  That was part of the fun of the original series!

The word that comes to mind is "deft."   In 2009 they made a prequel to a show that launched (at my house) on black & white Teevee in the late 1960's.    I think they did a really good job with this film!   I'm not sure how they could have done it any better.   

I liked it better than all other Star Trek movies.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 05:28:20 AM »
I'm glad you liked it. I was hoping for other views on the movie. I wasn't crazy about it because I liked the other Star Trek films and series, but maybe others will like the film.