Please login or register. April 19, 2014, 11:40:13 PM

Author Topic: Twizzlers  (Read 817 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Twizzlers
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:03:31 AM »
Talk about a stupid thing to post about, I'm way happy to be simply eating Twizzlers (red ones) today. I'm not sure what these things are made of.

wilddaisy666

Re: Twizzlers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »
You should describe them for me. I have no idea what the damn things are. We don't have them here :(

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »
You don't have twizzlers? Oh no! I'm kidding, you do have twizzlers in places that are not so stormed with name brands they are called red liquorice. They are make from the licorice plant! They are very good. I do not have any today.

jpd

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
Actually, Twizzlers were invented by BF Goodrich in the 1940's.   They were making tires for B17 bombers and one of the byproducts was 100,000,000 gallons of toxic goo that they stored in a retention-pond behind the factory.   It sat and gelled after the war while they decided what to do with it.  The neighbors began complaining that it was an eyesore so they threw in a bucket of Red Dye #3 but the complaints continued.

By the time the 1950's came America was so excited about plastic products (frizbees, hula-hoops, etc) that they test-marketed the red goo as a food snack for kids, and POOF--  it was an instant hit!

They never made any more of the stuff and have slowly been draining the pond for the past 50 years, pleasing their neighbors while making themselves very rich men along the way.

And that, is the rest of the story....

wilddaisy666

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:50:26 AM »
Oh right! We have those! Just not of the same name :D