Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 04:55:06 AM

Author Topic: Voice talents  (Read 2770 times)

GraysonMoran

Voice talents
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »
I like this idea and have looked at it, but the problem seems to be producing the sound files (which I can do with some freeware and a mike)  but how do you get somebody to read a damn book into a mike.  My voice sucks for reading...I sound like Willie Nelson buggering Tom Waits.  OK for singing at open mikes, but nobody's going to sit through a couple of hours of hearing me read.
I know singers, but they would hate just reading something and charge me bigtime.

Anybody figured how to get some actor or voice over person to do this?   I was thinking of marrying this bartender in Knoxville with a sexy voice, but I think that would cost more in the long run.

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Re: Voice talents
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:29:38 PM »
There has been a lot of work with digital voice technology. Yes, a computer could read your ebook. Amazon got in all kinds of trouble for having this technology. The problem is, if you produce an ebook you have different rights to it than a printed book. Anyway, you could look into having a computer read your book. There are lots of programs and even "human" sounding voices that can do it. Be aware though there are more rights issues here. If you have a computer read your text, you have to get the okay from the software company.

Here is a free software to try, but you can only get a couple voices without buying the full product. It would give you an idea of what I'm talking about. They are very very close to making this sound like a real human voice. You can change the speed, pick male or female. http://www.screenreader.net/

A better, less hassle, and much cheaper way to go might be students. If you have a university around you, post a bulletin in the drama building. You could probably get a student who is "serious" about acting to do it for beer (or beer money) and the blurb on their resume. Experience in acting is hard to come by, and an audiobook counts as "voice over" work. Great for a resume. Just some ideas.

GraysonMoran

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 04:34:51 AM »
Hmmm.  I don't think robovoice is going to cut it for long.

The student idea seems pretty obvious, though.   Now that you mention it  :)
I'll have to drop by the drama school pretty soon, see if I can put that together.

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 05:03:02 AM »
Try Craigslist too, everyone and anyone is on that thing. As long as you pay when they've finished what's the difference.

EditorJennifer

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:16:51 AM »
I am too new to this forum to know if it's okay to tout my own service here, so move this answer if it's inappropriate.

I started Distinctly Audible Productions just for this reason: it costs too much to hire "voice talent" and book studio time to make audiobooks of independently published ebooks.

I charge $4.00 per 1,000 words. You can hear clips on my website.

Please email me if you have any questions: jennifer at editorjennifer.com

Lin Robinson

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:27:28 AM »
Cool,   If that's your voice on the sample, it's very nice.   Can you "get" other voices for these things?

So that would run about $250 for a short novel.   Hmmm, not bad.  My guess is by the time a writer got vocal talent and production handled it would run more than that.

murazrai

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »
If your eBook contains songs in it, you may try use vocaloid to generate the singing of the song.