Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 12:42:18 PM

Author Topic: The Sestina Challenge?  (Read 6834 times)

jpd

The Sestina Challenge?
« on: March 28, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »
Hello Richard / Scott.   I am reluctantly on the new boards (it took 28 minutes for me to figure my way through the process)

Anyways, what is the status of the Sestina Challenge?   Am I able to post my Sestina on other poetry sites?   And just curious if mine was the only poem you received..   does that mean I win by default?    Yay!

Good luck with the new boards-- you seem to be getting a lot of input, so people must like the new format!

jpd

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Re: The Sestina Challenge?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
Hmmm, I think you are the winner! I'll run the 2nd challenge over here. Also, Scott and Richard are 2 people. We usually use the same accounts.

28 mins!!! Ugh. I'm going to go through the process again. Why did it take you so long? Was there a specific problem?

Lastly, it is great to see you on the board! I'm glad you made it. I'm going to port over your story very soon.
r

jpd

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »
It took 28 minutes because I needed to understand all of the profile options that are available, and then made the mistake of hitting the help feature which gave me 500 pages of "help" to skim through.

I'm just a message-board minimalist.   I like them to be simple and intuitive.   Other people think differently!

One thing I don't like about the new board is that when I am replying to a post, I can no longer see the original message.   Example-  the continued poem you started...   The burden is on US to make sure we copy all of the preceding words, otherwise, we have no way to read the post while we are to trying to add on to it.   I also miss the "1 hour" window to correct a post.   

So-  Am I able to post my Sestina on other websites, or is the challenge still on?

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »
You can see the posts! I was mixed up by this too. Scroll down. They are under your reply. I haven't even looked at the options on my profile yet. I was a little weary about trying to figure out all the ways I could say "I'm me" on this board. I think some people will really like it, others (like you and me) will just click through. I know what you mean by the "help button," it doesn't have a help button for the help feature, meaning I need help with the help, but again some people love that. Can you modify your posts? You should be able to at all times.

jpd

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »
I stand corrected-- on several counts!   Yes, I guess I CAN modify my posts.   I can also scroll down and see the original message that I'm replying to.   I also noticed that you re-posted my Sestina.

Thanks for your help, and for the nice words you threw in along the way!

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »
It took me 4 days to figure out I could scroll down and see what had been written in the last post. I was flying blind.  ;)

Father Luke

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:12:18 PM »
Well, I should be spending more time writing. When I became tech admin for Mary
I needed to know this SMF Bulletin Board inside and out.

Sestina, sestina. . .

Great challenge. I'm on it.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

jpd

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 12:47:41 AM »
Well, Father, it's been a week now.  I think I would enjoy reading your Sestina.   My own poem was a fly-by-night piece of crap that was written in less than an hour.  Mine are the words of an uneducated fool and an anti-social person.   I'm being a little silly with my message tonight but I don't mean any malice towards you, or to come across as seeming rude. 

So what about your acceptance of the Sestina Challenge?   Have at it!  Whatcha' got cookin' in yer' kitchen?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:56:07 AM by jpd »

Father Luke

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »
You know, I may just have to surrender this round to: lizenslin

Here:
http://www.everywritersresource.com/writersmessageboards/index.php?topic=97.0

(sigh)
- -
Okay,
Father Luke

banana_the_poet

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
Thought some of you might like this  ;)

It's my response to the PAD prompt to write a poem about a sestina.

What's in a Name?

There once was a woman,
didn't live in a shoe,
but a council apartment,
she might live near you.

Her children were named in the hope one day
celebrity riches would come their way.
So she chose their names so they'd stand out,
didn't know what they meant
and at meal times she'd shout :

"Food's ready Sestina, Salmonella, Vagina,
Colonic, Ebola, hurry up Spirulina!
Get it while it's hot Gonnorrhea you too Escherischa,
Candida, Chlamydia and you Analfissure."

Once at the table
she gazed at her brood,
the future of TV,
all gobbling their food.

jpd

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »
Great social commentary, B.T.P.   And very funny.  Now I'm wondering what she served her teeming brood?

A tonic for Colonic?
Curly pasta for Spirulena?
Leeks for Analfissure?
A bowl for soup for Ebola?
Pastina for Sestina?
Uncooked salmon for Salmonella?

banana_the_poet

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53:55 AM »
 ;D @ jpd

Believe it or not I was partially inspired by two different people who told me about different women they met who had either named or were going to name their kids with two of the names in that list.  :o

I'll leave you to guess which ones they were.  LOL

But Candida is the title of a play by George Bernard Shaw about a vicar's wife - and I read this long before I found out that it was also the name of an embarrassing infection as well.