Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 02:00:37 AM

Author Topic: I need to do this, but don't know where to start!  (Read 1216 times)

d.martinez3610

I need to do this, but don't know where to start!
« on: November 16, 2010, 03:34:14 PM »
Growing up in a family that was full of addictions and violence, I feel I need to get this off my chest.  About a year ago, my son fell ill and through his recovery, I started thinking about where I came from, where I've been, and where I am now.  I made up my mind that I want to try to reach out and touch the world with my story.  If I can make just one person stop and read about the unknown lives of the unfortunate, I would feel complete as a mother and today's American.  Most of what I want to write, is right on the tip of my tongue and I have mixed thoughts and emotions that make it hard for me to write down.  I think I need help.  I've heard of authors taking ones words and making sense of them and writing them.  I know it's my book to be written, but need someone else to help with it.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

MeJustice

Re: I need to do this, but don't know where to start!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »
Actually, after reading your post, I think you don't need someone to write this for you, your a good enough writer on your own.  What you need is an editor, someone to bounce ideas off of and to point you in the right direction.  So, here is where you start.  Begin with an outline, just a general one of what you think the book should be, then from there do a deeper chapter by chapter outline and then a synopsis.  Once you have that chapter by chapter outline, then you can go about writing the book. 

Otherwise if you don't want to write it you still need that outline, because next you would give it to a ghost writer, which is someone who will write the book for you for a fee or percentage of whatever profits you might get. 

Either way you need to study your craft, non fiction writing is very hot right now.  I suggest reading "How to Write a Book Proposal" by Michael Larsen.  According to him, you might not have to write the whole thing but maybe only a really good proposal and some sample chapters to get the book sold and on its way.

If you need more help or suggestions, feel free to write me.