Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 12:41:00 PM

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 760 times)

Greg_M

Introduction
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:38:38 AM »
Greetings to you all,

I am primarily a writer of fan-fiction.  I'm trying to expand my base a bit and produce something outside of that realm, though.  I believe some of my real life experiences (fifteen years in the military and two deployments overseas) may help in this endeavor.  I have found that my primary weakness in story writing is dialog.  I can do quite well in scene description and most character interactions.  It's the actual speaking that ends up being rather clumsy.  Hopefully some of you can assist me in developing this skill a bit.  I look forward to working with you.

GM

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »
Hi Greg! Yeah, I this problem, read the sections out loud, and if you can read our loud with friend. Chances are, if you are writing something outside of what you have lived, it may not sound right. A lot of times when people spend time outside of what they grew up with (like the military) it's hard to have an ear so "talk."

A really good exe is to write out a dialogue you had from memory. Write our what you said and others said to you, and chances are the problems will pop out at you.

Nice to have you on the boards.

jpd

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
Greg-  I would part ways with Richard in how to answer this.   Dialog should be stream-of-consciousness because most people don't think before they speak.  They err in their words, and stumble, and correct themselves along the way.   I would say DON'T map it out ahead of time.  Think like your character would think at that moment in the story--  even if you know it to be wrong-- and just go with it.  Even your mistakes will 'read' like real dialog, and you can fine-tune it later.   (but don't over-edit!)

Or try this-  create a character who is the antithesis of what you believe and write dialog that argues their point of view.   

Like anything else in life write every day-- even it it comes out poorly-- and you will get better along the way.

Now for my own shameless plug--  try jumping into one of the 'continued stories' and use it to practice writing dialog.

And good luck!

jpd

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »
For how NOT to write dialog watch the movie "Oh Brother, where art though"     That was (to me) a parody on bad writing.