Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 09:36:32 AM

Author Topic: Lost  (Read 3207 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Lost
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
Over a year ago someone on this board recommended I check out lost. They said it was one of the most addictive shows on tv. It is usually very difficult for me to get in to a tv show. I have some I watch and like, but the vast majority just do not make the cut. He was right about lost. I think it took me a month to watch every episode. I've watched all season, and now I am very ready to learn what the hell a lot of this has been all about. Are they all dead? Is the island a magic cap of evil that really is out there in the ocean.

I personally think they are dead. I think we will learn that those who are on the island died in the crash. Any thoughts?

ZTB

Re: Lost
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »
Well you were close, kinda. I've been into the show since the beginning, so its been a long haul for me. I've watched every single freaking episode as it aired and about the middle of season 5 I realized that I wasn't going to be able to figure everything out so I stopped trying and just enjoyed the ride. And what a ride! I can't think of a better ending. Not eveything was answered, but I think that is best. When it all came down to it, the characters were the most important thing, and the way they went out for me served this theme perfectly.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »
You know it was very happy tragic ending! That's lost though. It was a great ride. Lost worked something out for me, in my life. I started watching this great show when I really needed it. It was an awesome series, and an awesome ending. 

ZTB

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:04:32 AM »
I'm glad to see someone else agrees, I've seen and heard a lot of negative reactions about the finale. There certainly was an abundance of smiling people in that last episode. I've always thought if I can make something half as emotionally impactful and engrossing as Lost, I'd be a happy writer.

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
I liked and admired Lost from the beginning, didn't miss very many episodes, watched a number of them twice, and was very happy with the ending. I think the people who denigrated the show either weren't willing to try figuring it out, couldn't remember what went before and thus missed the significance of the payoffs, or simply prefer to watch shows that don't require any viewer involvement.

They answered every question for me except one. If Hurley was the protector of the island at the end of the island sequences, why was Ben the one who evidently didn't die (everyone in the church was supposed to have died), and was left outside? Or did I miss seeing him enter the church after all?

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:32:38 AM »
They were all already dead I think. I think the ones who went inside the church "moved on." Ben had not forgiven himself for the things he had done. When he talked to Locke at the end, that's what that whole, "I forgive you." "That does help" exchange meant. They were all dead at some time on the island. The purgatory was the "flash forwards" they were showing. There were not flash forwards for the guys that did not die.

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:42:29 PM »
That makes sense. Now my only question is, HOW did Hurley die? Do you think Ben killed him (offscreen)? That seems far-fetched, especially since Hurley said Ben was a great # 2.

ZTB

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »
I believe in the DVD set for season six there is going to be 10-15 minutes of footage about Ben and Hurley's time on the island. Or so they've said, it may be 10 minutes of them goofing off in Hawaii.

But yeah I agree, I think it'd be a stretch if Ben killed him. The way I saw Ben's character arc going, he was still the duplicitous little prick as always, only at the end he realized it wasn't his place to be the head honcho. Because people like Ilana and Jack and Hurley accepted him even after the horrible things he did, I think he changed. That's my take anyways, he was one of the most interesting characters for sure.

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:49:21 AM »
I think he was one of the most interesting too. I think where he told Locke sorry at the end was very telling about how he had changed.

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »
Poor Ben... Even after all those beatings, he came through for the others (albeit usually to his own advantage). That actor certainly had his work cut out for him.

BTW, if anyone has contact info or access to Sawyer's agent, let me know ASAP.