Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 09:36:12 AM

Author Topic: Dreamcatcher  (Read 1066 times)

nightwatch

Dreamcatcher
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:24:49 PM »
We've probably all heard about the technique of keeping a notepad and pen by our beds in order to take advantage of all the creative ideas that surface during that phase of sleep called, "Alpha", where we are neither fully conscious nor completely unconscious.  The idea, of course, is to jump up and write down each inspirational/creative thought that comes along. 

I have tried this and while it may sound like a good idea, I've found that the brainstorms come so fast and furious, that I can neither write as fast as they appear, nor get any sleep.  The latter is unacceptable, as I really need my sleep.  Reviewing the contents of the previous night's catch, of course, I find that at least, half of the ideas are useless, anyway.  Otherwise, it is productive.  But I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to make more viable use of this technique.

I've found some other good techniques for coming up with ideas for storylines and plots but don't want to discard this one prematurely.  Any insights will be appreciated.  And on a similar note any ideas about how to remember dreams will be even more appreciated.  I have some dreams that I could really put to immediate use in my writing but unless the dream has made an unusually profound impression on me, I don't remember it.  This is sort of puzzling because, other than that, I have a phenomenal memory.