Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 12:41:18 AM

Author Topic: Texas schools going ebook?  (Read 2092 times)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
Texas schools going ebook?
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-textbooks_03tex.ART.State.Edition1.4afd165.html Very interesting article about a new bill Texas is passing to fund more electronic book formats for their text books.

Tweet_Book

Re: Texas schools going ebook?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »
If they're using books at all, it beats the Texas Public School system when I went there. :)

Really, though, as long as educational ebook publishers don't get greedy, I could see this being a great thing for schools.

Father Luke

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:06:34 PM »
I found this interesting.

From the article:

the district is required by state law to buy paper books, which it stores in a warehouse. Schools are reluctant to
issue textbooks to each student because after six or seven years, when districts are supposed to send outdated
textbooks to the state for disposal, they have to pay the state for unaccounted-for books.

Now.

I remember having to turn in books at the end of the year because the school was
responsible for the texts. Funny how that comes back to me. . .  .

Where I am headed with this is that books can be replaced much easier, although
laps-tops (provided for the students, according to the article) most certainly cannot
be replaced easily.

Another thought. Books may be updated much more easily, and more cost effectively,
than standard text books. No more out of date civics books showing Lyndon Johnson as President.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:14:05 PM »
People wonder why schools make sure a big deal out of not getting the books back, but if they don't they won't give you your grade card, and they won't give you your diploma! Having outdated text books are the nature of teaching right now. Even if you update your texts, in a year the book is out of date. Schools districts usually keep them 10 years. Have etexts that could update every week or month would be awesome.

Father Luke

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »

Have (ing) etexts that could update every week or month would be awesome.

Yes.

And there is scant chance they would be uploaded
to The Pirate's Bay as torrents.

That's the good news.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Richard

• Administrator
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:53:27 AM »
Yeah, if schools start using ebooks, we'll all be here in a year or two talking about how the textbook industry is in real trouble, and how they can save themselves with advertisements. Yes, I would guess that teachers would very quickly learn how to work under the "fair use" rule ;D

On another note, I'm still hooked on tv crack....Lost.