Please login or register. April 17, 2014, 12:39:06 AM

Author Topic: What are you reading now?  (Read 6388 times)

Tweedledum

Re: What are you reading now?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »
I am reading Baldacci's Absolute Power.  I am hoping to watch his video tonight as there is little to watch on the box.  I had a lot of trouble trying to lay my hands on both as it is part of my scriptwriting course but I was determined. 

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »
I just finished Last Train from Cuernavaca out this month from Forge, by Lucia St.Clair Robson. I met her online when I was searching for pix of the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1920, and we struck up a correspondence based on our mutual interests. It's a GREAT read, which I recommend to anyone who enjoys fact-based historical fiction. Her researched details are woven into the fabric of the storyline and never intrude on the plot, which is satisfying.

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 09:43:36 PM »
Cool, I'll have to check it out.

ZTB

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 11:48:40 PM »
Seeing as I'm writing a semi-fact-based work of not-quite-historical fiction, I too will be checking that one out. I am reading Stephen King's On Writing

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
Seeing as I'm writing a semi-fact-based work of not-quite-historical fiction, I too will be checking that one out. I am reading Stephen King's On Writing

I've begun a collection of writers' memoirs, which give insights into their work and are mesmerizing. I seem to find those usually more helpful than their books on how to write. 

ZTB

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 07:52:10 PM »

[/quote]

I've begun a collection of writers' memoirs, which give insights into their work and are mesmerizing. I seem to find those usually more helpful than their books on how to write. 
[/quote]

Completely agree, I've read a couple of those 'how to write' things and they do nothing for me. This Stephen King one is actually quite inspiring and really has the creative juices flowing for me.

I'd be interested in seeing that list, you should post it sometime.

Richard

• Administrator
  • Where Ever u go there you are.
    • Every Writers Resource
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 02:24:33 AM »
A pretty good book I just finished that might fit your search is the War of Art. Is sort of a writer's self-help book but it is also a memoir of sorts. Steven Pressfield wrote it. He is the author of many books including the legend of bagger vance.

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »

I'd be interested in seeing that list, you should post it sometime.
[/quote]

I can take the women writers off the top of my head, but would need to look in my boxes to find which male memoirs I've assembled. To get specific titles for both, though, I need to hold the book in hand. So it might take awhile, but it's something I need to do for myself anyway.

I dropped into your site yesterday and went back today for a closer look. LOVE this line: "If we were a radio station we would play whatever we want; and be off the air and broke in a month."

If you played whatever you wanted, what would it be??

ZTB

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »
Thanks for checking out the site RLB, I was stuck writing that intro for a long time but I kept coming back to that line...

I think I'd play a crazy variety, from folk-rock to indie, classic rock, jazz (swing, cool, Dixieland)... basically a whole bunch of stuff that never gets played on radio, at least radio in my town. Which is why we'd crash and burn pretty quick. Specifics: Josh Ritter, Mogwai, Bon Iver, John Coltrane...

And shoot me a message if/when you get the memoir list.

Steven Pressfield's War of Art, noted. Thanks Richard!

Knox

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 01:04:43 AM »
Outer  Dark by Cormac McCarthy

Overwrought, pretentious, boring twaddle by the master of such.

ZTB

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Outer  Dark by Cormac McCarthy

Overwrought, pretentious, boring twaddle by the master of such.

BLASPHEMER!

I'm kidding of course. I read The Road recently, and while I was impressed with his language, there's only so many ways you can say the world is gray and lifeless. It was good, but not the greatest thing in the last 25 years, as so many have claimed. Didn't give me an overwhelming desire to pick up any of his other novels.

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
All the Pretty Horses was pretty good, plot-wise. It's the only one of his I've read, and it took me awhile to get used to his weird sentence structures. If you do pursue this one, be sure to read the book before you see the movie, or it could be a let down. The movie was great.

bubba lee

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
I am presently reading "Fury From Within" by Francis Smith. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046ZS31I  So far its a really good read.

Before this "The Eagel Has Landed" by Jack Higgans. This was excellent.

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »
Just started The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, in anticipation of the movie. We LOVE Narnia.

RLB Hartmann

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
Finished Dawn Treader, liked it fine. But we might go see True Grit before it leaves the local theater instead. Read TG a LOT of times, look forward to this version.