50 Cat Poem Writing Prompts
Our fascination with cats is nothing new – felines have been muses to poets for over a millennium. The playful Pangur Bán was penned in the 9th century, and was unlikely the only cat poem of its time. Throughout history, poets and writers have been drawn to the mystique and charm of the cat.
In the 19th century, Emily Dickinson was inspired to pick up her pen after observing neighborhood cats out her window. She captured their cunning and grace through vivid imagery and slant rhyme. Later, Carl Sandburg transformed fog into a creeping, crouching cat with clever wordplay and metaphor.
Perhaps no poet was more beguiled by cats than T.S. Eliot. He penned an entire book of lighthearted verses about fanciful felines. Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats was later adapted into the wildly popular musical Cats. Through his droll poems like Macavity and Mr. Mistoffelees, Eliot elevated the ordinary housecat to magical heights.
From medieval Ireland to modern Broadway, cats have been immortalized in poetry for their humor, stealth, wit and mystery. Their nine lives and night-owl adventures captivate our imaginations. Whether you want to capture a cat’s inherent mischief or write an ode to your own familiar, felines remain a perennial source of poetic inspiration.
We hope these 50 Cat Poem Writing Prompts will encourage you to take part in history and write your own cat centered verse.
50 Cat Poem Writing Prompts
- A kitten’s first wobbly steps across the floor, paws slipping and sliding as it learns to walk.
- The soft purr of a sleeping kitten, curled up in a fuzzy ball of warmth and comfort.
- A playful cat, stalking and pouncing after a toy mouse, kinetic energy bursting with each leap.
- A calico cat sitting proudly in a sunbeam, fur glowing in shades of orange, black and white.
- The rhythmic kneading of a cat making biscuits, paws alternately pressing into a soft blanket.
- A pair of curious kittens tumbling together, batting paws and nipping ears as they play and wrestle.
- The musical trilling of a cat greeting its beloved human, eyes bright with affection.
- A cat lazily grooming itself, pink tongue smoothing down ruffled fur over and over.
- The soft jingle of a bell on a cat’s collar as it explores outside, tail held high.
- A mischievous cat nudging objects off tables and counters, watching them fall with smug delight.
- The acrobatic leaps and bounds of a cat chasing a laser pointer, determined to catch the elusive red dot.
- A mother cat tenderly bathing her nursing kittens, rough tongue soothing and comforting.
- The comforting rumble of a cat’s purr, a soft lullaby easing worried minds and fretful hearts.
- A cat stretching luxuriously after a nap, back arched and paws extended as it loosens up.
- The crinkle of a cat’s nose when smelling something intriguing, nostrils flaring to analyze the scent.
- A cat nestled cozily in a cardboard box, making a cozy little home out of everyday objects.
- The soft crunch of kibble as a cat enjoys a meal, chewing contentedly on crunchy bites.
- A cat hiding in a paper bag or empty box, eyes peering out mysteriously from its makeshift lair.
- The acrobatics of a cat leaping to catch a tossed toy, twisting and turning midair with nimble grace.
- A cat pestering its owner for food or attention, meowing insistently and getting underfoot.
- Cats cuddled up together, bonded by warmth and companionship into a pile of entwined fur.
- The crinkle of a cat’s ears turning to listen intently to a new sound, alert and attentive.
- A cat sitting in a window, gazing intently at birds and squirrels frolicking outside.
- The soft tinkle of a cat’s collar belled with a tiny bell, announcing kitty’s movements.
- A cat greeting the dawn with loud meows demanding breakfast, restless for its morning meal.
- Kittens tumbling together in a playful kitty pile, tiny tails waving as they wrestle and pounce.
- A cat perched regally on a high wall or fence, calmly surveying its domain below.
- The rhythmic swish of a cat’s tail as it stalks prey, eyes focused and muscles tensed.
- A tuxedo cat dressed in black and white fur, prim and proper as a butler.
- Glowing cat eyes flashing in the darkness, tiny moons orbiting through the night.
- The satisfied snores of a sleeping cat, paws twitching as it dreams of mice and adventure.
- A mischievous cat pushing objects off counters and shelves, delighted by noises and chaos.
- A fluffy Persian cat gloriously groomed, fur puffed to perfection like a pampered poofball.
- The musical trill of a cat chattering excitedly at birds outside the window.
- A cat lounging lazily in a sunbeam, dozing blissfully in the warmth.
- The pitter-patter of little kitten feet racing and skidding across the floor.
- A cat rubbing affectionately against its owner’s leg, marking them with scent glands.
- The jingle jangle of tiny bells on kitty’s collar as it stalks and pounces.
- A cat greeting its owner at the door with eager meows, tail held high in delight.
- The soft scritch scritch scritch of claws on a scratching post, keeping kitty’s claws trim.
- A cat batting and bunny-kicking its toy mouse, practicing hunting skills.
- The musical melody of a cat’s purr, a soothing, thrumming lullaby.
- A calico cat lounging in the sun, fur aglow in patches of orange, black and white.
- A fluffy ragdoll cat gone limp in its owner’s arms, fully relaxed in trust.
- The pitter-patter tippy-taps of an energetic kitten exploring its world.
- A cat rubbing up against table legs and chairs, leaving scent marks on its territory.
- The joyful leap and snag of a cat playing with a catnip mouse or feathery toy.
- A sleepy kitten snuggling into its litter-mates in a pile, keeping each other warm.
- The flip-flop swish of a cat’s tail when focused intently on a noise or movement.
- Purrs of contentment from a cat in its owner’s lap, bonded in mutual love and trust.
If you write a poem from these we’d love to read it. You can submit it to us for consideration at email@example.com or you can post it in the comments below. If these were inspirational, we have many more writing prompts on our site.