50 Christmas Ghost Story Writing Prompts
Looking to add some extra frights and chills to your Christmas season? Grab a mug of hot cocoa, gather close to the fire, and get ready for some spine-tingling tales with this list of 50 ghost story prompts perfect for the holidays.
Let your imagination run wild with scenarios like vengeful spirits stalking families over their Christmas break, abandoned churches and hotels harboring Yuletide ghosts, and deceased relatives delivering otherworldly messages beyond the grave just in time for Christmas Eve. You’ll find no shortage of bone-chilling inspiration with specters ruining tree decorating, demons hiding in Santa suits, and deceased pets returning to cause some holiday mischief from the great beyond!
I’ve included plenty of holiday-themed paranormal ideas ranging from the slightly spooky to the outright terrifying. Just don’t be surprised if you start hearing ghostly bells and seeing odd shadows around the Christmas tree after you pick a prompt from this list! With the rich history of ghost stories connected to the season, these prompts are sure to unleash terrifying tales that would even make Ebenezer Scrooge shudder in fear.
So pour some hot apple cider, light those candles, roast some chestnuts, and get writing the Christmas ghost story you’ve always imagined. Just be warned, you may end up sleeping with one eye open!
Here are 50 Christmas Ghost Story Writing Prompts
- An old mansion comes alive with spirits on Christmas Eve.
- Carolers awaken ghosts when they sing inside an abandoned church.
- A nutcracker ornament carries the spirit of a dead relative.
- An angel tree topper starts talking with a long dead voice.
- Ghostly bells ring out from the town hall tower on Christmas night.
- A haunted Advent calendar reveals a new scary surprise each day.
- While chopping their tree, a family awakes the forest’s restless spirits.
- Carolers encounter a ghost who joins in all the songs off-key.
- A basement Santa collection comes to life at midnight.
- A demonic presence lurks inside a family’s antique decorations.
- A relative receives a ghostly Christmas greeting beyond the grave.
- A haunted snow globe conjures a different nightmare with each shake.
- On a Christmas hike, carolers get lost and encounter ghosts from the area’s past.
- A family spends Christmas Eve in a hotel rumored to be haunted.
- Ghosts gather around the Christmas feast and won’t leave the heirs in peace.
- A naughty child receives a lump of ghostly coal in their stocking this year.
- No one believes a child when they say a mall Santa is really a vengeful ghost.
- Ghost pets return from beyond to join in holiday mischief.
- A skeleton is found stuffed inside a home’s Christmas tree.
- Neighbors notice fellow resident ghosts gathered around one house on Christmas Eve.
- Children sneak out on Christmas Eve only to play with cemetery spirits all night.
- A relative returns from the dead but remembers nothing good about their family.
- Only one ornament remains after a ghost destroys the Christmas tree overnight.
- Standing in a mall line, a child spots only dead people waiting to see Santa.
- On Christmas day, a restless spirit demands a relative bury their bones at last.
- Family members become possessed while decorating the tree.
- Ghost children take over a mall Santa’s workshop, scaring his elves away.
- A snowman comes to life with the soul of a dead murderer at night.
- Spirits argue over who caused their deadly Christmas fire long ago.
- A Christmas tree harvesting trip summons the ghosts of ancient woodland spirits.
- A family gathers around the only haunted ornament that speaks true feelings.
- Ghosts wrap up old bones and leave them under the neighbors’ trees at night.
- Catching Santa on Christmas Eve, a child receives a key to the spirit world.
- A vintage dollhouse holds the trapped souls of past ghostly inhabitants.
- While time traveling home on Christmas Eve, a soul gets trapped in the dark past.
- A relative receives a card from a beloved ghost this Christmas beyond the grave.
- Only a lonely viewer ever sees a cemetery’s ghostly Christmas pageant.
- A demon crashes in the guise of Santa Claus to attack a holiday gathering.
- A haunted Ireland hotel refuses to release its Christmas Eve spirits each year.
- An evil Santa statue comes to life with presents full of ghosts and ghouls.
- Only misfortune results from a wreath made of ghostly Christmas roses.
- A mall Santa dies on the job only to resume work as a zombie.
- Ghost reindeer return to take revenge on those who sought to hunt them.
- A grisly spirit stalks a family hunkered down over Christmas break.
- A relative’s ghost constantly changes the holiday radio to strange static and screams.
- Only one haunted house sees phantom carolers each year singing odd songs.
- A Christmas blizzard traps an inn with vengeful ghosts and hungry guests.
- An abandoned toy store comes alive with its past ghostly occupants each year.
- Only a lonely viewer can watch spirits emerge from river ice on Christmas.
- Unwanted ghosts crash a family gathering and won’t leave until Boxing Day.
We hope you enjoyed these Christmas Ghost Story Writing Prompts. We hope they inspired you to write something jolly and terrifying. If these aren’t your cup of tea, we have many other writing prompts on our site. Leave us a comment!