The #Help1Writer initiative is a philosophy that supports writers at every stage and skill level. Some are trained in universities while others cut their literary teeth through online connections and self-learning. And for the past 15 years, EveryWriter’s Resource has served the needs of our entire writing community by offering the best resources and services on the web. But, one thing we’ve learned as an online support system is that we have to do it together.
With one community, one philosophy, one mission, we can carry out the real purpose of making these connections—supporting other writers. And it’s so simple. All you have to do is reach one writer. Just one.
Join The Initiative
While there are innumerable ways to support a writing colleague, here are just a few ways we can all connect.
- Find and join the ever-growing writing community pages and hashtags on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. #WritingCommunity, #WritersLife, #AmWriting, #DumpsterWriter, #AmQuerying, and #WritersLift are only a few. Find them. Join them. Participate.
- Purchase an author’s book and leave a review.
- Offer to beta read for another writer’s manuscript or query
- Share a writer’s short story from their blog
- Direct a newer writer to resources on writing, querying, and publishing
- Share advice and experience you’ve learned through the writing process
- Promote someone else’s work, art, article, etc.
How does #Help1Writer Help You?
This isn’t a promotional campaign for authors or social networks. But, we’ve learned through the years that building a strong community of support, helping each other grow in excellence, has only served to help those outside of our community to see the beauty in our work. Boosting each other inspires the world to believe in reading again, and encourages our discouraged colleagues to believe in writing again. If you can #Help1Writer, you’re helping all of us. And, you’re helping yourself.
Use #Help1Writer to reach out for support or to share your stories of how another writer helped you in a time of need. We’d also like to hear from you right here on EWR. Our own personal journeys will always speak to another who is walking the same path, so share your struggles and successes below. We can’t wait to hear from you!
From The Editor
Richard Hugo once wrote, “Writing is hard and writers need help,” and more and more, this help is coming from you. Supporting all writers is at the heart of why I do what I do. And as I’ve seen the #Help1Writer philosophy in action, alive in our communities, I wanted to give it a label and a place right here on EWR. I hope you will choose to join the movement. Believe in reading. Believe in writing. Be a part of it. Never stop.